History

History

  

  

Click here for a history written by Jack Balinsky, director

  

  

  

TIMELINE

  

1912

  

Catholic Charities Guild organized by women to coordinate almsgiving of Catholic organizations.

  

1915

  

Catholic Charities League organized for fundraising. 
St. Elizabeth’s Guild House, Inc. organized and incorporated to provide residential services to women.

  

1917

  

Chapter 256 - NYS Law passed, enabling Catholic Charities incorporation.

  

Rochester Catholic Charities incorporated.

  

1919

  

Rochester Catholic Charities becomes well defined centralized structure.

  

1922

  

Charities changes name to Rochester Catholic Charities

  

1924

  

Charities joins Council of Social Agencies … now the Planning, Evaluation and Allocation Division of United Way

  

1930

  

Elmira Catholic Family Center organized.

  

1936

  

Catholic Youth Association (now Catholic Youth Organization) organized.

  

1950

  

Catholic Charities Family & Children Division becomes Catholic Family Center.

  

1967

  

P. David Finks appointed Episcopal Vicar for urban Ministry.

  

Rev. Jack Hempel appointed Director of Secular Mission.

  

1969

  

Urban Ministry and Secular Mission merged into Office of Human Concern with Rev. Jack Hempel, director.

  

1971

  

Name changed to Office of Human Development with Rev. Charles Mulligan, director.

  

1976

  

John Salter appointed director of the Office of Human Development.

  

1977

  

Office of Social Ministry created with Rev. Charles Mulligan, director.

  

1978

  

"Charities of the Future" approved by Charities Board of Trustees.

  

1979

  

Mary Heidkamp appointed director of Justice and Peace Dept.

  

"Charities of the Future" approved by Bishop Matthew H. Clark.

  

1980

  

Southern Tier Office of Social Ministry organized.

  

1982

  

Finger Lakes Office of Social Ministry organized.

  

1985

  

Genesee Valley Office of Social Ministry organized. Affiliate agencies: Catholic Family Center and CYO.

  

Social Ministries (formerly Catholic Charities and the Justice and Peace Dept.) organized with Rev. John A. Firpo, diocesan director.

  

1988

  

Genesee Valley Office of Social Ministry, Catholic Family Center and CYO integrated into single agency: Catholic Family Center.

  

1992

  

Jack Balinsky appointed diocesan director of Social Ministries; office renamed Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Rochester.

  

Catholic Charities Community & Residential Services become a subsidiary agency.

  

1994

  

Providence Housing Development Corporation organized.

  

As a result of Diocesan Synod, the Consistent Life Ethic Office established within Catholic Charities.

  

1995

  

Catholic Charities of Livingston County organized as a regional subsidiary.

  

1997

  

Services significantly expanded in Steuben, Tompkins and Cayuga Counties.

  

2000

  

Catholic Charities Community & Residential Services - agency name is changed to Catholic Charities Community Services to focus on the variety of programs offered.

  

Project Unity launched to foster urban / suburban / rural partnerships.

  

2001

  

Kinship Youth and Family Services becomes special purpose agency of Catholic Charities

  

Works of Love program launched to foster greater connectedness between Catholic Charities, parishes and schools.

  

2002

  

Catholic Charities of the Southern Tier is reorganized; four new subsidiary entities are created: Food Bank of the Southern Tier, Catholic Charities of Chemung/Schuyler Counties, Catholic Charities of Steuben County, Catholic Charities of Tompkins/Tioga Counties

  

2004

  

Catholic Charities of Wayne County created.